Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Homemade Spaghetti/Pizza Sauce

I thought I would share our family spaghetti sauce recipe today! My dad made up this recipe a few years ago and we love it!!

1 29 oz can of crushed tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic
2 T olive oil
1 t Fennel seed
3 bay leaves
1 T Italian Seasoning
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
2 t Parsley Flakes
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes

Saute pressed garlic, then add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve over pasta, or apply to a whole wheat pizza dough (recipe to follow)!

*Makes enough for two pizzas

**We have tried this with 29 oz freshly crushed tomatoes and were blown away by how much more wonderful this sauce could get!!


***Update***
I decided to see if I could omit the sugar in this recipe by adding a TBSP of purred carrot. Turned out beautifully!! So add carrot to your ingredient list instead of the sugar! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment