Saturday, September 25, 2010

Basic muffin recipe with a health twist :)



This recipe was modified one night when we needed a little bread something to go with dinner, but I didn't have time to actually make fresh bread. I will give you the recipe I based ours on (from dh's mother), and then give you what I now use as my basic muffin recipe.

original recipe:
1 egg
1/2 c milk
1/4 c oil
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

new recipe:
1 egg
1/2 c milk (or milk substitute; soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk...)
1/4 c coconut oil
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c sucanut (raw sugar)
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt (sea salt or hymalayan crystal salt)


directions for both versions:
grease muffin pans (or use foil papers)
mix ingredients- moist first- stir in the rest.
bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes


We have had the original recipe many, many times and I can tell you, they were good. However, the first time I used the new recipe, I thought I had died and gone to muffin heaven!! The kids were in heaven right along with me! Sorry original recipe, but we will never being going back!

*I usually double this recipe. For some reason, whenever I make a single batch, I only end up with 8-9 muffins. Doubling this recipe gives me 21 ish muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment