Thursday, April 3, 2014

Einkorn Chocolate Chip cookies

recipe image
Original recipe and photo credit found here.


I've had a 1 lb box of Einkorn berries in my pantry to try out for quite some time now. Since any wheat (whole wheat especially, but even Kamut and Spelt) send my sugar levels through the roof, we normally stick to gluten free flours when we want treats. I decided to give Einkorn a go though- it's SO much better for you than other wheats! And I'm happy to report that I didn't seem to suffer any from eating a couple last night- Hooray! It's still pretty expensive, so we probably won't be eating it too much, but it's nice to know there's something else out there we can use.

Einkorn Chocolate Chip Cookies

ingredients:
* 8 TBSP softened butter (115g)
* 3/4 sucanat (150g)
* 1/2 tsp salt (3g)
* 1/2 tsp baking soda (3g)
* 1 med. egg
* 1/2 tsp vanilla (3g)
* 3/4 cup chocolate chips (115g)
* 1 3/4  cups einkorn flour (210g)

directions:
1. Cream the butter, sugar, salt and soda together until combined well.
2. Add egg and vanilla- mix until emulsified.
3. Mix in chocolate chips gently.
4. Sift the flour before measuring, then mix into other ingredients until fully incorporated.
5. Drop by TBSP onto greased cookie sheet, about an inch apart.
6. Bake at 325 degrees for about 13 minutes.
7. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from tray.

**Some notes**
-I did weigh out my ingredients- except for the butter and vanilla.
-Sifting the flour before weighing was a bit of a pain, but well worth it.
- I didn't have any chocolate chips, so instead chopped up a bar of Organic dark choc. (soy free!) from Trader Joes. Worked perfectly.
- Next time I think I'll use less chocolate chips. I like to taste the cookie, (and these ones taste amazing!) and the chocolate is a bit overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment