I was pursuing my favorite Irish blog a few months ago, when I came across a recipe for an Irish Sponge Cake. Yum! I was instantly hooked and decided that this would be my birthday cake this year.
|Made with homemade strawberry jam and raw cream!|
I only made a few changes to the ingredients, mostly just to modify them to what we use.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used sucanat, which is unprocessed cane sugar)
- 3/4 cups cake flour -plus two tablespoons (we have whole wheat pastry flour that we grind ourselves)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup strawberry or raspberry jam
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar (we used maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (we added in her optional vanilla extract)
**For the rest of the recipe, visit Mairead's blog, Irish American Mom.
The result was a deliciously spongy cake with a coveted whipped middle and little to no sugar high. Perfect!
|Here it is all candled up for my birthday!|
Go here to read more about the difficulties there are when trying to convert an Irish recipe using American ingredients. Thanks Mairead for all your hard work!!