Monday, August 19, 2013

Fermented Ketchup

image source
I recently decided that our families days of buying ketchup were over. All the debate on which brand uses the best tomatoes, sugar, ingredients in general, etc- I just got tired of it all. I thought it would be easy to find a replacement, but it took us a few tried before we settled on one we all enjoy. I don't have a picture of our to use yet (we ate the last batch I made too quickly!), but I wanted to get the recipe written down somewhere. So I'll come back and update the picture later.

Fermented Ketchup:
1- 7 oz jar tomato paste (bionature in the glass, bpa free bottle is the best)
1 TBS raw honey
1 TBS raw apple cider vinegar
2 TBS whey or sauerkraut juice (we used sauerkraut juice)
1/2 tps Himalayan salt
1 clove of garlic, pressed

Mix all ingredients. Put the ketchup in a canning jar with lid and leave on the counter for 2-3 days. Ours didn't last long enough for me to ferment it, so don't worry too much about doing that. We're going to attempt to ferment it next time and I'm sure it will taste just as delicious!

*I based my recipe using this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment